Search This Blog


Friday, July 2, 2010

Reconstruction update - July 2, 2010

Talk about appreciating the little things in life. I'm so happy to report that my strength is slowly returning. Still a long way to go, but I'm feeling confident that it's only downhill from here and there will be NO more setbacks! I've been off the antibiotics for 10 days now, and feeling a little better each day. No sign of any infection coming back, and that's the way I want it to stay!

I saw the Plastic Surgeon today, and he gave me another fill! The skin seems to be stretched to it's limits... tight, heavy, achy... but it's only the first day and I'll get used to it. I'm stll lopsided, but he says he'll even me out at the next fill, in two weeks. I'm estimating that my implant surgery will be end of August, then nipples in December and areola in Feb. or March....barring any complications. Just a rough guess on those dates.

I will never again take my health for granted. Oh the things we can do when we are healthy! Grocery shop! Laundry! Cooking! Dancing! Paying bills! All the little joys in life that are so difficult when you're weak and sick. I give thanks for just having the energy to get out of bed in the morning and make it to the bathroom. I had so many days when that was a real chore.

For me, staying healthy is a full time job. Constantly monitoring my blood glucose 24/7, I am also doing everything in my power to boost my immune system to ward off infection. Rest and hydration. Healthy eating and supplements. H202 therapy and homeopathics. Physical therapy, meditation, massage, hypnosis. And dance is my exercise, but of course, in moderation for now. I want to try acupuncture but my insurance doesn't cover it. My whole focus these days is on my health, and if that's the way it has to be, it's okay with me.

I had an interesting hypnosis session today. He put me into a very deep, relaxed state, and then asked me to describe what I was experiencing. I had this song playing in my head, Viva la Vida by Coldplay, and was dancing to it. I started to describe how I was dancing... freestyle, no partner... just moving to the music as it lead me... stretching my arms up and out, running, leaping, pointing my toes, feeling the wind in my face... and then a tear fell down my cheek. It was amazing. I woke up feeling more relaxed and at peace than I've felt in a long time.

I want to thank the girlfriends I've nagged to get their mammograms for going ahead and making their appointments. Be in tune with your body, listen to it and it will tell you alot. If your gut says, don't do it, then don't. If your choice is the cookie or the apple, choose the apple. You know what to do. We all do. It's about making choices. Don't take your health for granted; it's a gift and you never know when it can be taken away.

Love,
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment