Search This Blog


Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sunday June 13th - Weekend Recap & Infection Watch

A weekend of love, resolve, and dance-envy. My daughter and all my friends at a local dance event that I had hoped would be my debut return to competition after my surgery... team rehearsals that I wanted so badly to attend...outdoor summer festivals & concerts I adore... but a serious bacterial infection stops all that from happening. I resolve to settle back, take stock of my situation, and put my health as absolute number one priority.

All I can manage to do each day, it seems, is make it through my 2 hours of IV antibiotics infusion and lay around the house all day. After Carissa treated me to a lovely mani-pedi this morning, I tried grocery shopping a little... NOT a good idea. I was walking soooo slow, and feeling achy and feverish the whole time. Totally exhausted me. Miriam brought over some yummy warm home-made banana-chocolate-walnut bread. Love that girl. With one of my infrequent but welcomed spurts of energy, somehow I managed to make dinner - an easy pasta-chicken-veggie skillet dish. Not a bad weekend for a sickie, I guess. Tonight as I sit up in bed breaking out into a cold sweat and watching the Tony Awards while Paul snores next to me, it takes me back to my wonderful "Savin' Up" days last summer. Longing for those days again, when I was healthy...

There will always be more dance events... there will always be more team rehearsals and practices...there will be more weekend summer music festivals. Work, students, cleaning and housework will be there. I must breathe deeply and try to find the silver lining in this temporary setback. I see other patients at the infusion center with more serious conditions. I'm reminded by my PICC line and daily IV that this could have been chemo, easily... but it is NOT and I am one of the lucky ones. I'm seeing visualizations of later this year, dancing at the US Open and Worlds in Nashville, with restored health and vitality. It's only a matter of time. And time is a precious gift that is on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment